top of page

From A Peaceful Possibility to Peace City!

 

Phillips Metropolitan C.M.E. Church was named for Bishop Charles Henry Phillips, the 8th Bishop of the C.M.E. Church. Our congregation began with a group of devoted believers who banded together to praise and serve God in the Methodist way, which they had come to know and love. This band of believers met in March of 1932, in a multi-family home located on 205 Bellevue Street and founded a congregation to be known as Phillips Temple Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. The founding members were as follows:

IMG_5BAB0A4165C9-1.jpeg

Mrs. Marie Godfrey Rev. James Purke-Founding Pastor Mrs. Annie B. Hart Mrs. Mayola Napper Mrs. Richard Porter Rev. Burton Owens From 1932-1938, three men of God served as pastor of this new body of believers, Rev. James Purke, Rev. E. R. Coleman and Rev. J. A. Fuller. The first Presiding Elder was Elder Blaine who was followed by Elder Walker. Between 1932 and 1941, Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church worshipped in five different locations; from 205 Bellevue Street to Avon Street...to Russell Street, under the leadership of Pastor McBeth. 

On February 12, 1970, Rev. John Wesley Parker and his community Sunday School (approximately 100 youth), joined our congregation and in August of 1970, Rev. John Wesley Parker was appointed by Bishop Henry C. Bunton as pastor of Phillips. On March 28, 1977, Rev. Dean Jones was appointed Pastor of Phillips. Rev. Jones was a young man, new to the ministry and full of zeal. On February 26, 1978, under the leadership of Rev. Jones, and under the guidance of Bishop Nathaniel Linsey and Presiding Elder McCloud, a new church home was purchased at 700 Blue Hills Avenue. On April 8, 1978, Rev. John L. Ghee and his lovely wife, Christine, came to lead our congregation. In July of 1979,

Phillips received Pastor John L. Adams and his wife, Mary T. Adams. Rev. Adam's first sermon was, "Satan Goes to Prayer Meeting". Rev. Don C. Morgan was appointed to Phillips in October of 1980 and Rev. L. K. Bennett succeeded him in January of 1981. In August of 1982, Rev. John D. Hadley became our pastor. Rev. Hadley was an experienced leader and an anointed singer. On December 19, 1982, Rev. Austin L. Harold was appointed pastor

IMG_9F6E62DB0C92-1.jpeg
IMG_1201.jpg

On July 31, 1983, the congregation was blessed when Rev. James B. Walker was appointed Pastor by Bishop Oree Broomfield as Pastor. During Rev. Walker's tenure, Phillips has been blessed to accomplish many things...the liquidation of a $30,000 debt through the sale of our 127 Mather Street property, the liquidation of the mortgage on our 700 Blue Hills Ave property in 1986 and other accomplishments related to the property at 2550 Main Street. Under his leadership the congregation grew in membership & property investments. The current edifice was erected and the 2550 Health Center renovated from the former sanctuary. In 2010, Rev. Walker was elected as the 56th Bishop of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.

 

 

In 2017, Rev. Kevin A. Brown II was assigned to pastor Phillips. His administrative acumen proved invaluable for providing stability to the church. In 2019, Rev. Jeremy L. Williams, M.Div., was assigned to pastor Phillips. During his tenure the church presented its ministry to the world as they went virtual as a result of the Covid-19 virus. The ministry of God continued and expanded through virtual morning worship & mid-week Zoom Bible Study. July 30, 2021, Bishop Walker appointed the Rev. Zachary D. Mullens, M.Div to Phillips CME Church. During his tenure the digital and spiritual footprint of the church was increased by adding a mid-week virtual worship experience. The church also celebrated the purchase of a beautiful four bedroom parsonage for our current and future first families. In July of 2023, Bishop Walker appointed the Rev. Courtney L. Adams to serve as Pastor. He, along with the thriving congregation conduct instrumental ministry in the Hartford Community. Eyes have not seen what God has in store for Phillips as they continue to seek the peace of the city and be Peace City in the heart of Hartford in this year of No Limitations!

4F6Ba2G6_400x400.jpeg

From 2010 to 2014, Rev. Dr. Arthur S. Green was appointed by former member of Phillips and Presiding Prelate of the Seventh Episcopal District, Bishop Thomas Lanier Hoyt, Jr. Under Dr. Green’s administration the church liquidated the mortgage on the 2550 Main Street property. In 2014, Rev. Juliano Andujo was assigned by Bishop James B. Walker, the freshly assigned presiding prelate of the Seventh Episcopal District, which spans from Massachusetts to South Carolina. Rev. Andujo had a passion for souls and presided over one of the most successful Friendship Evangelism Sundays that left standing room only in the sanctuary. From 2015-2017, Rev. Paul and Rev. Dr. Valerie Everett where assigned as co-pastors of Phillips, the first ever co-pastorate at Phillips and one of the first in the entire denomination. They delivered memorable tag team sermons. The Everetts expertise in pastoral care was second to none.

PhillipsCME_1.jpeg
bottom of page